Documentation

• Stylus developer

Nice work! I have a few questions and requests. I haven’t started using the site yet, so please forgive me if my questions would have been answered by me actually starting to use the site (add themes, etc).

Site

• Please set up the site and forums to use the same account information (if possible). Maybe integrate the site with GitHub, GitLab, Bitbucket, Twitter, Facebook, etc…
    • Please consider adding:
      • Labels to help categorize each theme.
      • Adding a forum category for site requests.
      • A link to GitHub on every page would be nice; maybe add a link to report a site issue would be necessary as well.
      • @narcolepticinsomniac mentioned that it would be nice to show an install count for each theme.
      • What about a donation button?
    • Is there a roadmap or list of features you still plan to implement?
    • I’m guessing you’re going to need some help along the way, I’ve added a mention in this thread about this site and your work.

API

• Where is the documentation on the API? I probably won’t be posted any userstyles here because updating them on USO is already a chore; but…
    • If I post a usercss, does the site update from the @updateURL? Wouldn’t it be easier if we just added a URL pointing to a usercss style and the site did everything else?
    • I see a few usercss already on this site… Does the site check GitHub’s API for updates? And will it update this site’s style automatically?
    • What about gists?

• Stylus developer

Oh and I forgot to mention, I’m not sure why, but the forum confirmation email went straight into my Gmail spam folder. Lucky I checked there!

• @mottie said in Documentation:

Please set up the site and forums to use the same account information (if possible). Maybe integrate the site with GitHub, GitLab, Bitbucket, Twitter, Facebook, etc…
    Please consider adding:

• Things

Is there a roadmap or list of features you still plan to implement?

Everything you mentioned is something I want to implement, but if I’m the only one working on the site, I can only go so fast.
    Up until now, I’ve been “tracking” features in a simple text file, but I’m going to look for solutions that lets us work together on these features more easily.

@mottie said in Documentation:

I’m guessing you’re going to need some help along the way, I’ve added a mention in this thread about this site and your work.

Thank you very much! I’d be grateful to accept issues and PRs.

Where is the documentation on the API?

I haven’t manually written any documentation, because the one GraphQL generates worked so far. It’s based on this file. You can use the GraphQL playground to explore the API.

If I post a usercss, does the site update from the @updateURL? Wouldn’t it be easier if we just added a URL pointing to a usercss style and the site did everything else?

One huge flaw in the API right now, is that it doesn’t lint/validate the theme code, because I haven’t been able to find parsers, and haven’t written one yet. It expects the export format (that you get by clicking “export” in Stylus).
    When the theme is installed, the API renders the metadata automatically (with this function).

What about gists?

I think it would be a good idea if themes could be imported from any URL instead of gists only, but yeah, this will be implemented.

Oh and I forgot to mention, I’m not sure why, but the forum confirmation email went straight into my Gmail spam folder. Lucky I checked there!

Seems like the default NodeBB templates have a spammy signature, but if the site and the forum gets integrated, ideally only the site would be sending emails, which (so far) don’t seem to be getting flagged.

Adding a forum category for site requests.

Looks like I forgot to reply to this one. There’s already a theme requests category.
    Was that the one in your mind or am I not getting it?

• Stylus developer

I mean add a new forum category for openusercss.org site; this will be needed for non-GitHub users as I believe non-developers won’t make a GitHub account to report an issue or make a feature request.

• Oh, I think this category is perfect for that. I edited the description to signal that. How does it look?
    When the forum gets more busy, I want to add a separate issue category that’ll be linked up to GitHub.

• Stylus developer

Sounds good!

• From a security stand point, if you can help not having to deal with accounts, don’t. If you can let somebody else do it, github or whoever, hat would be better.